BOOK REVIEW: You Made My Heart a Hunter by E.M. Epps

One of the things I've been wanting to do with my blog is to read and review books.  I'm not taking review requests, mind you.  I just want to review the books I'm currently reading or plan on reading.  So I'm excited to share my very first review with you!

I like to think that we authors/bloggers have the power to turn heads and eyes towards things.  I want to use this power for good.  I want to use this power to help other writers get attention.  I know what it's like to be an indie author just waiting (and praying) for someone to pick up your book, and I know what a huge difference just one review can make.

Allow me to introduce you to E.M. Epps.

She has another book out titled To Hell and Back Again with a Little White Dog.  I'm still working my way through that one, so expect a review there at a future point in time.
What I really want you to check out is her new novella, You Made My Heart a Hunter.

Ms. Epps was kind enough to send me a review copy.  So here's my review.  I'll try to keep it to my personal reaction to it and not give any spoilers.

The book opens on our heroine Lhennuen.  She receives grim news that, ultimately, causes her to make a life changing decision and leave behind what she knows.  She finds herself in an overwhelming new world and reaches out to God, asking that the greater force in her world do what it will with her.

That alone struck me.  To submit to God like that.  It's not an easy thing to do.  It takes courage and trust.  I also thought it was really interesting how the author chose to portray God as "it".  As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have always viewed God as "He".  Yet another part of me recognizes that there is also a feminine force in the world.  So calling God "it" was very intriguing.

As Lhennuen wanders the wilds of her world, disaster forces her to make friends and allies (and enemies too).  She falls in love with a wonderful, gentle man named Yugho. I was suspicious of Yugho at first, but perhaps that is because Epps is an adept writer who has created a cautious character who can be warm, but reserved.  It was easy to place oneself in Lhennuen's shoes. 

Disaster befalls Lhennuen again at the end of the book and once more she is forced to submit to the will of God, which just goes to show you what a strong lead she is.

Long story short, I knew I would like this book right away.  As a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's work, I felt like I was reading Priestess of Avalon or Forest House again and was in love.  I really think you should give this book a try.  It's only 100 pages.  You can knock it out on your lunch break or before bed!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Translate Blog





    Email Ann!

    Name

    Email *

    Message *


Recent Comments